This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Successful implementation of alternative GUI

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:22 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2016 at 5:44 PM
Hello to all Saraff.Twain fans,

I have setup a project (named CineStripScanner) to scan cine film strips. This are 5 to 20 cm long snippets of a cine film ( 8mm, 9.5 mm Pathé, 16 mm) in order to digitize these cine films (footage mainly recorded by amateurs - most of them using Super 8 or Regular 8 film material).

The part of the program suite, that deals with the digitization and video generation already works perfectly since several years. ( See http://hosting.aktionspotenzial.de/CineToVidWiki/index.php/Hauptseite ) and there was also a program to support strip scanning. But with the advent of Windows 10 (32 and 64 Bits) this program (called ScanController) did not work anymore and we found no way to activate it under Windows 10. The problem is the native scanner driver (e.g. from Epson or other manufacturers). There is no way to evaluate several internals, which are needed to allow their exploitation.

When I started the project I did some surveys to find out what software might be needed to achieve the goal. There was MS WIA, TwainForC# from the Twain Working group and finally SARAFF.Twain.
First attempt was to exploit TwainForC#. But severe problems came up und the TWAIN Working Group was not really responsive. So I had a look at WIA, But WIA seemed to be not very well supported using C# and .NET as a conveniant development platform.

So I finally switched to SARAFF.Twain - and this was an excellent decission.
I up to this moment was a real novice in the TWAIN domain and I had several problems.
But a very big compliment to SARAFF. He is very responsive and provided all the required information - so I am currently in the situation, that the individual GUI I designed for my project is almost completed ( a few minor errors, but nothing severe).

All envisaged functions of the CineStripScanner related to scanning work very well.
SARAFF.TWAIN provided all the needed functions in the SARAFF.TWAIN Package.
Again congratulations.

And this is a list of the offered functions of the CineStripScanner:

Dialog to define the parameters needed for scanning - e.g.
  • desired resolution (must be between 3200 and 4800 dpi or even more), that is handling of up to 150 MB Bitmaps
  • definition of scanning rectangle and rectangle position on the scanners pane.
  • definition of the desired image format (bmp, png and jpg - jpg with quality setting)
  • preparation for enabling USM image sharpening if exploiting 64 Bit Twain drivers (if available in the future)
  • defining the target directory with the range of needed strip image file names
  • defining the number of scans that have to be performed in a loop (several hundreds)
Dialog to define the parameters needed for strip transportation through the scanner (a kind of feeder) exploitng an Arduino board and a stepper motor e.g.
  • the number of steps needed for moving the film foreward one strip
  • the time delay between steps
  • parameters to position the film in the scanner .
  • and so on........
I publish this in order to convince potential SARAFF.TWAIN users, that this is in my humble opinion the right platform to develop applications, that must incorparate image acquisition functions.

I want to thank SARAFF a lot, that he was so patient with me - because I had for sure also some very silly questions. But again, I got the needed support almost immediately.

I wish SARAFF good luck and good success in carrying on this excellent project.

Wolfgang

[Image](http://wkurz.com/upload/Screenshot_05-GUI2set-scanning-and-transport-parameters.jpg
Marked as answer by SARAFF on 7/7/2016 at 11:19 AM